St. David's High Kirk Dundee

Click here to edit subtitle

History..


Our congregation became a “union” in March 2003 when The High Kirk and St. David’s North Parish Churches united as “St. David’s High Kirk Dundee”.

We each have long histories – The High Kirk was established in 1877 on its present site on the south side of Dundee Law and is an established Dundee landmark.

St. David’s North was built in 1929 and opened in 1930 to be part of a new housing development on the north slopes of Dundee Law and immediately alongside its sister parish of The High Kirk.
Throughout these intervening years successive ministries established each church as a powerhouse in its own parish but today they have joined together as the church shrinks not only here in Dundee, but across Scotland. Each congregation has supported many organisations in its time to cater for the needs of its parish but now only at the High Kirk are there ‘traditional’ organisations. The union has continued to worship using the two original church buildings through our desire to “be at the heart of the communities we serve” and was created in this way at the request of Presbytery.
Due to the discovery of asbestos in the undercroft at St. David's, the Kirk Session had to make serious decisions about the continued viability of the building and its future use.  Regrettably, the financial implications of removing the asbestos along with the then complete refurbishment of the sanctuary were too great and it was decided to close the whole site and sell it.  This happened in August 2014.  A final service was held in the hall at St. David's on Sunday 31 August.  The site will be redeveloped for housing.  The buildings were demolished and the site cleared for the redevelopment in March 2015.

St. David's North Parish Church,

part of St. David's High Kirk Dundee

 
Going back a few years, here is a picture of the High Kirk sitting atop the tennis court that was on the opposite side of Kinghorne Road.  You can see the old pavilion, but maybe more of interest are the doors at trhe right hand side that closed offf the entrance to the old railway tunnel.

go back to the top